Reconnecting with my spirit, I move gracefully into the future, dusting off a myriad of dreams too long forgotten.
So many things I always planned to do "someday". If "someday" isn't now, then when?

18 September 2010

The Perfect Diet for me!

I have lost 15# as of today!
25# to go!
Today my BMI reach a "normal" state. HOORAY!

I am busy, and just want to sew or watch movies when I get home. I own most of the exercise videos that you've seen on TV. I am a collector of exercises, but have not been willing to actually use them regularly. It's always "tomorrow I'll get started." So when my car needed repairs at 180,000 miles, a life-changing decision was made. The weather was nice, one child still at home and she doesn't like to leave the house. I have never really liked to drive into work in the traffic (45+ years), so I didn't repair my car. I've made a pact with myself not to get another car until I reach my weight goal!

Rule #1: LOSE the car!

The BBW Diet:

Bike ~ Bus ~ Walk

I have been walking to the bus stop (1 mile), taking the bus to work, walking to work (10 minutes), and coming home again the same way. It was so hard in the beginning - 1 mile seemed so far. Then I added a bike to the equation, I've never had a bike before so there are a lot of muscles waking up.

26 years ago saw the end of my running 1-5 miles a day (8 minute miles), and dancing 3-4 times a week, AND weighing 110# dripping wet!
Last year I purchased a Direct Life Monitor from Phillips
I wore it diligently - it kept telling me that I was not burning any calories, driving, working, even running around the house cleaning. Direct Life visually shows me how I'm doing. And some exercise doesn't burn as many calories as you would think. So Direct Life gives me awareness! No more thinking "I've done enough for today" Not if I truly have a goal to get fit and lose weight.


It shows me my progress with all kinds of charts that break down into hours if you want.

I was walking every once in a while at lunchtime, and finally decided that I was going to walk EVERY day! Well that Monday, determined to do this every single day, I went on my lunchtime walk with a friend. Within 5 minutes I stepped on some melted snow that was muddy. My thought right before that was about getting my new walking shoes muddy, but I didn't care, so kept going.

Up in the air I went, twisted my ankle! I was so determined that we continued on our 30 minute walk. Three days later when my ankle was grotesquely swollen, and very black I decided to go to the doctor. I had 3 broken bones in my ankle, they were shocked that I had been walking on it. Immediate crutches, boot, etc. etc. etc. I almost had surgery but new doctor decided to put it off.

Ankle finally became okay about 10 weeks later, so I started walking as the car was gone by then. Now the knee goes out, unbalanced leg and still wearing the shoes I was injured in. One of those shoes hadn't been worn for 10 weeks so I was really unbalanced. Purchased new Reebok walking shoes, and carried ice packs in my backpack for immediate attention when my knee was painful. That knee pain was worse than my ankle had ever been!

Finally my knee got better.

WOW - when I started walking with spirit, the numbers went way up!


1 comment: