Reconnecting with my spirit, I move gracefully into the future, dusting off a myriad of dreams too long forgotten.
So many things I always planned to do "someday". If "someday" isn't now, then when?

14 September 2010

The Crone


I found this picture on the internet many, many moons ago. She drew me in, I loved her instantly and saw her beauty and wisdom. I didn’t understand what the attraction was but I do now. It’s more of a feeling that is beyond words for me. This picture is actually a mask, and I’ve searched and searched the internet and can’t find it anywhere. So glad I copied it!



I’ve always been attracted to Goddesses, but never really connected. Then when my two oldest grandchildren (ages 8 and 1 at the time) went to live with their mother, I assumed it was forever. I had them both since their births, with a few trips back and forth.


So I set out to start my life, and started taking midwifery classes. The first several weeks of classes were about the beginning of time, and how women were healers and persecuted as the men thought they were black majik incarnate.


A few months later, the kids came back and stayed, and then their little sister was born a few years later at 2.5# and 11”, 3 months early. So I did not pursue the idea of goddesses and healers.


Now I've begun to realize the wonderfulness of being older and wiser and intend to move through this new phase of my life and appreciate the power of woman. It’s time to get grounded in our heritage, in life itself. I’ve been so busy doing what I needed to do, being who I needed to be, now I am going to find me!
________________________________________

"Those of us who choose to name ourselves Crone do so to raise consciousness around issues of aging. Paradoxically, at the beginning of the 21st century, the ancient Wise Woman Crone archetype is emerging within women all over the world. We are beginning to realize that this third and crowning stage of female life (the one our culture throws away) is more authentic, creative, outrageous, powerful, funny, healing and profound than we ever imagined." [Helen Redmen: Birthing the Crone]
________________________________________

3 comments:

  1. Love it! The mask is beautiful. The black and white photography I want to take will be similar. Pictures of great faces. So, are we now Cronies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bohemian Cronies . . . has a nice ring to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Thank you for your comment over at Gypsea Tree. I'm so happy to "meet" you! This mask is beautiful indeed. I'm still wandering in the fog somewhere between maiden and mother, but I hope I have this kind of wisdom and beauty by the time I get to Crone! :-)

    ReplyDelete