Reconnecting with my spirit, I move gracefully into the future, dusting off a myriad of dreams too long forgotten.
So many things I always planned to do "someday". If "someday" isn't now, then when?

09 September 2010

Why a Blog?

I am changing my life style dramatically. It's possible that no one is noticing, but I am feeling it. Maybe you will read this and realize that your life is just beginning!

The difference between now and before is I have more time to myself, different priorities, and I've become a collector of all kinds of specialized ice bags that conform to different parts of my body. For the first time in my life, I broke my ankle, suffered with a very painful knee brought on by the broken ankle, and most recently dislocated my thumb when I dropped my bike (see below). This is because I haven't been active in 26 years and have decided to get healthy and fit no matter what.

I have just purchased my first bike ever, and am learning to ride it. I take it everywhere with me, have learned to put it on the front of the bus and under the bus. I am walking 1-2 miles a day, now bike some of it, and then walk the bike if it seems more comfortable (hills & traffic).

I have stopped driving until I lose the 40# that snuck up on me since I stopped running at night and dancing on other nights. That started about 26 years ago when I started accumulating grandchildren (3) which I adopted all of them in the 1990's. This was after I raised my 3 children. In Oklahoma back then, it was barefoot and pregnant at the age of 15.

I have taken up knitting again on the bus ride into work and then home again - 30 minutes both ways. What a nice change from sitting behind the steering wheel in traffic! I have a theory that you only see old ladies knitting because they are probably finishing a project they started when they were younger and never had time to finish. Knitting does require quiet time, with no interruptions. It's meditation with a mantra "knit 1, 2, 3 . . . purl 1, 2 . . . knit 1, 2, 3 . . ."
Impossible with constant requests for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!

Yes, life has slowed down, just can't rush when you're not driving - the bus keeps it's own schedule, you can only walk and bike so fast. I just love it!

Of course haven't had to deal with rain and snow yet . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment